Hello there soon to be mama, thanks for stopping by and welcome to my blog.
I know there are quiet a few hospital bag lists available out there but none of them had exactly my list of items and being the 3rd time around for me, my aim was to bring minimal items as every other time I have over packed!
I’m going to share with you what I have packed, there is also a Printable List available HERE for you to print and tick your items. I have tried to leave a little room under each category as I know we all have different needs and this way you can add some items if need be.
I’m 36 weeks pregnant with my 3rd and I’ve just finished packing my hospital and Labour Bags. I’ve got some pieces that I still want to wear during these last weeks/days of my pregnancy which I’ll keep wearing and washing hoping that they make it in the bag on time lol.
The most important part to remember is that you want to be comfortable, like the whole time, during labour, during birth, after birth and during the rest of your stay.
Depending on where you are giving birth also depends on what is included for example baby nappies, wipes, maternity pads ect.
Ensure you check first what is included and what is not. If the hospital is supplying nappies there’s no point filling your bag up with endless supply of nappies. Same goes with maternity pads ect!
I’ll start with my Labour Bag, in the past I have just put everything that I needed for during labour and the hospital stay in the same bag/suitcase but then have found that when needing things during labour you usually need it quickly. You (but most like your partner) has to go through your bag with everything else and it’s impossible to find what you are after. So this time I’m packing them separate, which means I should not have to open my hospital bag at all till I’m transferred into my room, in fact I could even not bring it in to labour and get hubby to get it out of the car at a later stage to save carting another thing around. Make sure you also put baby’s first outfit in this bag too. Okay back to what is in the actual bag, sorry got a little carried away there!!
- Ear Phones/Bluetooth Speaker To listen to a birthing playlist/birth affirmations/Meditation etc.
- Phone Charger For obvious reasons, you don’t want your phone to go flat just before the action starts.
- Camera + Camera Charger
- Black Comfy Knickers I say black because it can get a little bloody and not so noticeable when wearing black.
- Perineum Cold/Heat strips These are great for during labour and birthing to have warm on your perineum. Then after use it cold for some relief on the same area.
- Nappy Pants/ Maternity Pads I just packed one of each, with more in my hospital bag. Plus they normally supply them in the labour ward.
- Essential Oil Roller I’m bringing my Meditation one which I have been using leading up to birth.
- Bra/Crop top to labour in Or you can be naked or wear a hospital gown whatever you are comfortable in. But make sure you can feed wearing it or easy to take off for skin on skin immediately after birth.
- Snacks Lollies, bananas, muesli bars. Anything that is easy to eat and that will give you some energy. I don’t even like
- Comfy Outfit/Nighty For after birth to walk back to your room and I say a Nighty just in case you have to have a catheter.
- Wheat Pack For relief on pain areas during labour, your back for example.
- Water Bottle Most important keep hydrated through the marathon.
- Baby’s First Outfit Singlet, Full length onesie, beanie, mittens
- A Loose Nighty Comfort is everything
- Comfy Pajamas
- 6x Comfy Undies
- 2x Feeding Friendly Bras
- 2x Adult Nappies I’m taking adult nappies to wear for day 1 & 2 just to save having to change pads
- 4x Maternity Pads
- 4x Nursing Pads This is an easy one to forget but once your milk is in you will know about it.
- 2x Comfy Feeding Friendly Outfits Some comfy outfits to wear during the day so you feel a little more human and also if you have visitors. Mine are from The Comfort Mama, which are super comfy and feeding friendly.
- Going Home Outfit Something comfy to wear on the way home.
- Thongs I like to wear thongs in the shower at the hospital.
- Face Wipes
- Minimal Makeup
- Moisturizer Face/Body
- Shower Cap
- Hair Ties/Bobby Pins
- Body Wash
- Nipple Cream (Do not forget the nipple cream)
- Hydrogel Breast Disc (keep these in the fridge for relief on your boobies once the milk arrives)
This time around I bought some little individual bags to organize the baby’s clothes. This way hubby or the nurse is able to just grab the little bag and dress baby. It also made it easier to pack everything for the baby.
- Hospital bag organizers Mine are from The Nest Australia
- Dummies (if using)
- 2x Singlets
- 3x Onesies
- 2x Beanies
- Birth Announcement Outfit
- Going Home Outfit
- Announcement Discs (if using)
- 2x Muslin Swaddles
- 1x Jersey Wrap
- 1x Blanket
- Thongs (incase you labour in shower)
- Spare T-shirt and shorts
- Phone Charger
Printable version click the download below.
Presents from baby to the siblings
A lot of people always ask if we buy anything from the new baby for the siblings, so I decided to add that in here too.
When Luca was born I had made up a gift bag of one special little present and then some smaller practical things that would keep her distracted whilst visiting us in hospital.
This time around I have done the same thing, made up a gift bag for each of the siblings with a toy each, some activities and some of their favourite snacks. We will give these to them once they come in and visit bub and are over the newborn cuddles etc. lol to hopefully entertain for longer than 5 minutes. Fingers crossed because nothing is guaranteed!!!
Thank you for coming along this journey with me and I assume you are a soon to be mum as well, whether it be your 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th I hope this helps you get organized for their arrival.
Wishing you a safe, joyful and bursting with love for your upcoming birth.
Thank you again
I’ve created a Nursery Nook this time around as we have run out of bedrooms in our house plus our other bubs spent the first 6 months in our bedroom anyway and once it’s a little older he or she will most likely share a room with big brother Luca. Not knowing the sex of…
After Birth Pains!!!
After PainsI was downloading one of my SD cards the other night and came across this photo. The rawness and honesty of this photo took me immediately back to that moment in the hospital just a few hours after birthing Luca. The first thing that came to my mind was the PAIN, the after birth…
Luca’s Birth Story
I was convinced you’d come a little early like your sister but here I was the night before your due date. Everything was like normal, all three of us went to bed, I had my regular obstetrician appointment in the morning & being my due date we had talked about maybe doing a stretch &…